Tips for an amazing Trip
Cruises Tourism is a tourist choice that gains adherents every day around the world. Cruise approaching Uruguayan ports are not the exception. The number of cruise ships that arrived to Montevideo and Punta del Este ports have been increasing last years due to a strong effort by the authorities in Uruguay Tourism and private operators through international marketing introducing Uruguay as a tourist destination for cruise ships. Thus, in the 2007-2008 cruises season arrived almost 150 cruise ships, real floating cities bringing Urugauy more than 150 000 tourists.
Most Cruises have prices that range between 1500 and 5000 U.S. dollars while "luxury" exceptions offer more expensive alternatives and more services to most demanding travelers' satisfaction.
Normally, in the ship there are many services including shops, restaurants, swimming pools, casinos, theaters, nightclubs, gala dinners, dances in the style of "Love Cruise", etc.. so you could have a wonderful time without leaving the boat.
Among the many benefits of cruise tourism is the diversity of destinations in one anly trip, everything is usually organized and paid before departure, and the great variety of leisure, play and food without leaving the boat. If you are thinking about visiting Uruguay and also love the sunrises and sunsets at sea, our recommendation is a cruise trip.
Now we're leaving some tips for you to live easier and cheaper your first sea experience
Choosing your Cruise Trip
Unlike traditional tourism, cruise tourism does not only depend on destinations to visit, but also on characteristics of the boat you will travel. There are huge floating cities with all the services and suggestions for fun that challenges most creative imagination. Other trips offer intimate voyages with few passengers with many romantic nights sailing through the ocean. On the other hand there are cruises visiting exotic places, beaches and more focused on costs, and other options focused on more classical city tourism. You have also "thematic" ships, for example cruises for single people where all activities are organized to encourage and facilitate to meet a partner, douring the trip. Furthermore everything must be tied to the month of year you plan to travel, the length of the trip will surely determine the destination of your choice. Keep in mind the weather, hurricane season if you go to the Caribbean, etc.
Not less importan is the visas and needed documentation for the places you are planning to visit. You may be required to obtain visas from the consulates of multiple countries on your itinerary. Failure to obtain the necessary visas may result in serious delays and additional charges during embarkation, or in denied boarding and no refunds on any unused portion of your travel.
So questions you should answer at this time:
a) What kind of trip I want to do (Romantic, Exotic, Adventure, etc.)?
b) Which places I want to visit?
c) At what date I will be traveling and what the weather will be at those places?
d) have I got all needed documentation (check expiration date in your passport)?
If you have already answer these question you can already choose your ship.
Choosing the ship
Beyond the aspect, an important thing to think about is the category of the ship. Cruises are divided in three categories: mainstream, premium, and luxury. Mainstream cruises are not so expensive, but cabins, food, and service are not as lavish as premium or luxury cruises. However, mainstream cruises are not a bad choice if you're young and like adventure. Most Luxurious ships focus main activities in the ship so you have wonderful restaurants and cuisines and individual attention on board. So if the goal for you are destinies of the trip, mainstream cruises could be a good choice, On the other hand, if you like to travel as a king, premium or Luxury is the option.
You should also take in count the size of the cruise. Megaships have a lot of activities and people on board, so there are less attention per passenger. More intimate ones you have more attention but sure they will be more expensive as well.
If it's your time for a Luxurious Cruise you have some cruise lines that could easily attain your requirements you have here a brief list:
- Carnival Cruise Line : Carnival is very popular and its fleet of 22 ships use to be the choice for young crow. The goal of this line is to give lots of fun activities, good meals and modern entertainment along the trip.
- Disney Cruise Line : Disney Cruises could be your choice if you are going to travel with your kids. Activities and services are all the time keeping in mind little children and their families. Real fun for them and for you as well.
- Royal Caribbean : Royal Caribbean Cruises are similar to Carnival except because they are focused toward a little older crowd. Royal Caribbean is great for couples and middle aged travellers. The food is very good and prices are a little bit more than Carnival.
- Cunard : Cunard is the high end of cruise lines. How didn't heard about "Queen Elizabeth", "Queen Mary 2" or "Queen Victoria". We do think that if you are planning to travel by Cunard and you can do it, trust us: you do not need this guide, though here from Club de Turistas envy you very much. Best gastronomy, heavenly services and wondrous accomodations are surely achieved goals
These are only mentions but you can check their (and other else) web sites. Finally you will find the proposals are diverse, very different and all attractive.
Details when booking your Cruise
The one great thing about cruising is that there is plenty of information on the web. So onw way is to book the complete trip online. You can easily get the exact same vacation and at a lower price due to no commission fees online. Even planning shore excursions. For example, if you're late returning from a ship-sponsored excursion, the ship surely will wait. The cons of this way is a good travel agent could talk to you about details of the trip you should tak into account. That is which cabin to choose, reservation of the seat for dinner. In some ships you must choose whether you want to sit only with your travel companions or if you'd prefer a larger table where you can meet your shipmates. Travel insurance and Health insurance are very important to regard before the trip and an agent travel could help you to get this documents.
Thus, in short:
a) No fees to pay
b) Most websites give you a variety of tools and pictures to help you make the best decisions about details.
c) At whichever step of the booking you could request a phone consultation with a travel professional.
Booking with a travel agent:
a) a personal touch and help to the cruise booking process
b) Possibility process side details, as insurances and shore excursions.
c) Could help you in cruise tourism advices
(if he's an expert in the stuff)
And in the middle :
You can also find a trusted agent through a certified travel organization such as the Cruise Lines International Organization (CLIA)
What to pack for the Cruise
Most important stuff to decide is the clothes we're going to pack for the journey. In fact there are a lot of websites with detailed checklist for cruise wear and needs. At the end of this article we will mention most complete of them but for now let's do a fast overhaul to be warned. We have to take also in account that cruise cabins are smaller than hotel rooms, so we shouldn't overshoot our luggage. Remember as well that your luggage could be reach your hands some hourse after boarding so could be suitable to reach wearing first day clothing at boarding time.
Gala dinner(s) . While each cruise itinerary has its social, usually there is at least one gala dinner during the voyage, opportunity where we will dress our best piece of luggage. At lusury Cruises tuxedo for him and evening dress for her. Cruises more "informal" maight be a cocktail dress for her and a classic dark suit for him.
Sailing time clothing. Main thing to take into account is that clothing must not to be uncomfortable (dresses or trousers and shirtwaist for women and T-Shirts and trousers or Bermuda shorts). From this point you vary to elegant or informal according Cruise category. Thus, if you take a Caribbean Cruise you should expand your beach clothing baggage. On the other hand if you're in a Luxurious Cruise, opportunities of handsome dressing will multipy and you will sure be ashamed without your tuxedo and a graceful night dress for your lady. Shoes will be comfy and avoid heels (except in lusurious cruises). Finally whichever cruise you choose you must to follow formalities, i.e. that which indicates do not wear too informal inside the casino.
Shore excursions. For shore excursions is important to wear comfortable shoes and clothes according to the local climate. Clothing should be informal but also conservative to be admitted in possible mosques or churches visited. Women will have to keep pants or skirts that below knees. sleeveless shirts or T-shirt are not appropriate. Do not forget to check the forecast before complete the final adjustments to clothing. In very warm and sunny destinations not forget a hat and sunglasses (and sun creams).
All the cruises there are several recreation on board. Of course we decide on which activity to take part, however, we should carry some sports clothing for these occasions. Let's say: blouse or shirt and shorts or trousers for ladies and shirt or sports shirt and bermuda shorts or shorts for the gentlemen.
Even if you have contracted a cruise with a travel agent, we recommend you to visit the official website of the line because many of them give you a list of clothing you should bring that will give you an idea on the amounts needed for the times described before.
And a list . Before leave home please check this list:
(this list is a resume of cruises.about.com check list)
- airline tickets or e-ticket confirmation
- cruise documents
- passports and visas (if necessary) or proof of citizenship (check with your cruise line for requirements)
- vaccination certificate (if required)
- copy of prescriptions and list of all medicines you are taking
- credit cards
- cash or traveler's checks (be sure to keep traveler's checks receipt in separate location)
- 3 copies of airline tickets, cruise tickets, passports/visas, itinerary - pack 1 copy in carry on, 1 copy in checked luggage, and leave one copy with someone at home. Alternatively, you can scan the documents and email an electronic copy to yourself so that you can access them from any computer terminal. (I usually do both - "just in case")
- contact numbers to report lost/stolen credit cards or traveler's checks
- emergency numbers at home
- glasses, contacs, contac cleaner
- reading material - books to read while on the plane or lounging by the pool
- journal or notebook and pen/pencil - for making notes to tell your friends back home about your experiences
- business cards with email address to give out to new cruise friends
- home and email addresses of friends/relatives back home - for sending postcards, emails, or gifts
Electronics and Camera Equipment
- plug adaptor and converter
- cell phone and charger
- binoculars (if you have on you will sure use it)
- film and digital camera (send us some photos)
- extra memory cards for digital camera
- batteries for digital camera
- battery charger
- small travel alarm clock - battery operated
- prescription drugs and any other essential medications in carry on bag
- ear plugs or "ear planes"
- small first aid kit (band aids, Q-tips, vaseline, dramamine, antibiotic cream, bandages, anti-diarrheal medication, cortisone
- cream, aspirin/tylenol/advil)
- germicidal hand cleaner
- handi-wipes (for cleaning hands when ashore)
- bug spray (not for your cabin on the ship, but for those pesky mosquitoes and "nonos" ashore)
- sun screen/sun block and lip sunblock
Finalmente, si no se sienten seguro tienen una lista pormenorizada de todo lo que hay que llevar en CruiseDiva Cruise Planner or cruises.about.com )
Here you can sen us your comments about this tutorial or other cruise tips
(If you are coming from a tutorials sebsite don't formet to give your vote or evaluation in original site).